Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Poster Presentation Topic


As I was researching topics to do my poster presentation on I came along this new technology that has the ability to treat blindness. I searched for several hours to find a topic that I was really interested in. My father and several members of my family have diabetes and I thought that I could find some new technologies dealing with diabetes treatment but nothing seemed too extraordinary. My grandmother also recently passed away from complications of Alzheimer's disease and although there is a lot of research surrounding the disease nothing too groundbreaking has surfaced in the last several months. So I stumbled upon these stem cell contacts they have the ability to treat some forms of blindness due to injury or disease. They are cheap, non-invasive, and only use the products of your own body to cure. Stem cells are extracted from the healthy human eye and cultured with long wear contact lenses for several days. After a certain amount of time they are inserted into the patients eye and the stem cells actually start to heal the injury or damage done from disease. This technology has huge potential because the same process can be used to treat larger organs such as the skin. Hopefully this technology receives more funding and we can see it utilized more often for people how have gone blind from injury or disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment